Partnership & Family Visa

There are a number of temporary entry visas allowing you to Work, study or just Visit New Zealand.  

If you are in a partnership with a NZ citizen or resident, you may be eligible to apply for a partnership based temporary entry Visitor or Work visa. And some partners are able to apply for a residence
class visa.

Non-New Zealand Work Visa holders can usually support their partner and dependent children for the following visas:


  • An open work visa for your partner

  • A visitor visa for your partner or your children

  • A student visa for your children to attend school as “Domestic Students”


Visas for the partner and dependents expire at the same time as the Work Visa holder’s work visa.

Want to build a life with your significant other in NZ?​
Let's find the way.

If your visa does not allow you to support your partner or dependent child, they can apply for a visa in their own right.

Our eligibility assessment will clarify all your visa options so you have a clear pathway forward.


Work Visa


Our primary business is preparing and managing work visa applications.

Whether you are already in New Zealand or overseas, we can help.

There are a range of different types of work visas designed for specific work situations, allowing you to live and work in New
Zealand. Some temporary work visas offer a pathway to residence, whereas others do not. We will match you with the right visa to suit your needs and goals.

The most common visa is the Essential Skills Work Visa which allows stays from 1 year up to 5 years depending on the wage and skill level of the job you are offered. To be eligible to apply for an Essential Skills Work Visa you must have a full time job offer for which you are suitably qualified or trained, and have the required work experienced to do the job.


Ready to advance your career in New Zealand?  
Ask us how.

The duration of your visa will depend on your wage and the skill level of the job.


Visa applications are not always straightforward, therefore not all outcomes are the same.

No matter where you are located in the world, Future NZ can assist. 


Residence Visa

A residence class visa allows you to live and work in New Zealand indefinitely and access most publicly funded services. It is also the next step to gaining citizenship in New Zealand.

The Skilled Migrant Category (SMC) is the most common residence class visa for applicants aged 55 and under.

The SMC visa calculates points for factors such as age, work experience, your
qualifications and current, or an offer of skilled employment in New Zealand.


Partners of a New Zealand citizen or resident who have lived together in a genuine and stable relationship for 12 months or more, can apply to live in New Zealand permanently.

The Work to Residence (WTR) is an employer assisted ‘temporary entry’ visa which allows WTR visa holders, who have been employed full time with the same Accredited Employer for at least 24 months, to apply for a Residence from Work visa.

Want to call New Zealand home?
We can help with that.

The most commonplace visas in the Work To Residence category are;

  • The Long Term Skill Shortage List Work Visa

  • The Talent Accredited Employer visa

  • The Talent Arts, Sports & Culture visa.


Only the LTSSL allows you to include family in the initial visa application.

Lake Wakatipu at twilight, Queenstown, N

Visitor & Working Holiday Visa

New Zealand’s Working Holiday Visas are available to young people, usually aged 18 to 30, or aged 18 to 35 in a select few countries.


The Working Holiday Visa lets you travel and work in New Zealand for up to 12 months, or 23 months if you are from the UK or Canada.

You must meet all relevant immigration policies including, having enough money to pay for a return ticket and be coming to NZ with the intention to holiday as your primary motivation and to work as a
secondary consideration.

There is a lot to see and do in NZ and this visa is a great way to see the country.

Planning a holiday to New Zealand?
Let's get you sorted.

Student Visa

Student visas offer you the opportunity to come to New Zealand to study full-time and gain internationally recognised qualifications.

You must pay the full cost of your course with an approved education provider.
Depending on your visa conditions, you can work part-time up to 20 hours per week, while studying and work full-time during the holidays.

Student visas can allow for a stay of up to 4 years, however the validity of a Student Visa is usually for the same length of time as the study you have paid for.


Partners and children may be eligible
to apply for a visa based on their relationship with you.

New Zealand work visa holders’ school age children of can attend Primary, Intermediate or Secondary school as “Domestic Students”. They will need to apply for a Student Visa, but do not need to pay International Student Fees during these school years.​

Want to study in New Zealand?
We'll show you how.

To be eligible for a student visa, you will need to meet the following criteria: 

  • an offer of place from an educational institution approved by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority

  • a written guarantee from an institution or person that suitable accommodation is available to you in New Zealand (if you're under 18 years)

  • evidence of sufficient funds to live on while you are studying

  • a return air ticket to your country, or evidence of sufficient funds to buy one.

The above list is simply a brief overview of the requirements, there are more conditions that you will need to meet. Every student visa application is treated on a case-by-case basis, therefore not all outcomes are the same. 




Section 61 Request
Some people may find themselves in New Zealand unlawfully, and as such they are eligible to request a visa under section 61 of the Immigration Act 2009 to regularise their immigration status.


This is known as a “section 61 request.” We can represent your case to Immigration New Zealand in a reasoned request with documented evidence that explains your situation and relevant circumstances.

Variations of Conditions

If the conditions of your temporary category Student, Work or Visitor visa is no longer appropriate for your situation, you may be able to apply for a Variation of Conditions or you may need to apply
for a new visa instead.


We will advise you of what is right for you,
relevant to your circumstances.

Need more guidance?
Let's talk. 

Assessment for Residence

The requirements for each residence category can be complex, and our comprehensive assessment gives peace of mind about which type of visa is the right one for you.


The process involves an initial consultation during which we will discuss your needs and goals, and gather the information we need to complete a comprehensive


We then provide you with a written report which includes your residence visa options and eligibility.

Workers in Building Site

Employer Accreditation 


We assist employers by reviewing your advertising and employment documentation to meet the Labour Market Test and Immigration New Zealand's immigration instructions. 

From 2021 you must be accredited to employ migrants on the new temporary work visa.  

There will be 3 levels of accreditation:

  1. standard accreditation — this is for employers who hire between 1 and 5 migrant workers in a year

  2. high-volume accreditation — this is for employers who want to hire 6 or more migrant workers in a year, and

  3. labour hire employer accreditation.

We can assist you to become an Accredited Employer.

Want to help an employee or become accredited?
We'll show you how.